Fi-domain names take a step towards international practices
The internationally known registry-registrar model for fi-domain names, which is brought into use on 5 September 2016, clarifies the roles of FICORA and registrars. After this change, holders obtain fi-domain names and all related services from their own registrar.
In the new model
• every fi-domain name holder must have their own registrar managing domain names on behalf of the holder
• registrars provide all the services related to fi-domain names, including applications, renewals, transfers, switching registrars, terminations, and updating details
• more people will be eligible to apply for fi-domain names, as local presence and age requirements for applications are removed. The applicant can be located anywhere in world, and the age limit of 15 is removed.
• foreign companies, organisations and private persons can also have an fi-domain name
• everyone may apply for a combination of first name and last name.
"FICORA continues to be responsible for the technical operation of fi-domain names and will supervise and guarantee that registrars offering fi-domain name services will provide the highest quality of service", says Juhani Juselius, Head of the Fi-Domain Name Group. “The change does not affect the protection of Finnish registered business names or trademarks in relation to fi-domain names", Juselius adds.
The new prices of fi-domain names will be applied from 5 September 2016. The Ministry of Transport and Communications has set the prices for fi-domain names as follows:
- 1 year - EUR 9
- 2 years - EUR 18
- 3 years - EUR 27
- 4 years - EUR 36
- 5 years - EUR 45
Read more about the new model for fi-domain names
Juhani Juselius, Head of Products and Services, tel. +358 295 390 492